It’s my birthday week! Yay! In a few sleeps, I will turn 32. And I am so excited. So grateful.
I know a lot of people that cringe about getting another year older. They hide their birthdays and do everything they can to avoid celebrating, or worse still, have someone else celebrate their very special day. Me, not so much! Birthdays are a bloody blessing! A privilege! And one that is denied to many may I add.
I think we often take them for granted, much like many other things in our lives these days.
Whenever I am nearing another birthday, I do a lot of reflection. I try and remember all the beautiful things I have seen and heard and experienced in the previous 365 days. And sure, life isn’t all roses, but when you stop and really think about the year that has just passed, there is a lot to be grateful for and/or a lot to learn from.
That is your number one birthday gift right there!
So, a special birthday requires a special celebration of course! How do you celebrate? Maybe you like to invite everyone you know over for a big party, or perhaps you enjoy a quiet dinner out with your partner. Do you do anything special for, and with, you and you only? It is your birthday after all!
Here are 15 meaningful ideas for you to consider to celebrate your next birthday!
1. Watch the sun rise (or set) on your own
2. Send your parents a thank you note
3. Create a bucket list for the year ahead
4. Book into a hotel room for the night – just you!
5. Hire a camper van and go on a mini road trip
6. Start a birthday journal; a record of life as it is right now. Next year pull it out and add to it again!
7. Try something new. Maybe an adrenaline experience, cooking class or even a new food.
8. Makeover time! Go and get pampered gorgeous.
9. Complete a random act of kindness – it will make your day just as much as theirs.
10. Go camping. Sleep under the stars and enjoy mother nature!
11. Get a tattoo that is meaningful.
12. Register to be an organ donor and/or donate blood. Allow someone else to celebrate their next birthday too.
13. Organise a photoshoot. Make it a yearly experience if you can!
14. Recreate a childhood birthday celebration. Maybe you have memories of a favourite birthday at a theme park or roller skating – do it again!
15. Create a time capsule. Be sure to include a letter to yourself, to open in 20 or 30 years’ time!
However, you choose to celebrate your next birthday, do it with gratitude. Remember how lucky you are to be here and how quickly that last year has gone. And of course, have fun gorgeous – enjoy your special day! Happy birthday!