How Can I Contribute to #GivingTuesday?
For some, Thanksgiving may have ended last Thursday. For others, the giving continues for #GivingTuesday. On Tuesday, November 29, 2016, charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students around the world will come together to encourage giving. #GivingTuesday started in 2012 and has garnished worldwide attention. Last year, 45,000 organizations in 71 countries participated by offering pro bono assistance at work or raising money for charity. There are lots of ways to help a community in need!
The #GivingTuesday Organization developed a few ideas on how you can get involved today:
1. Raise Funds
- Donate or organize a fundraiser for a nonprofit and leverage #GivingTuesday. Experiment with creative approaches to expand your donor base and to raise more for charities around the world.
- Launch a campaign on #GivingTuesday to increase donations through the end of the year.
- Partner with a donor or sponsor to host a matching grant challenge for #GivingTuesday. This could be a 24-hour challenge, it could lead up to #GivingTuesday, or could launch on #GivingTuesday and run through December 31.
- Volunteer at a charity or organize a larger team volunteer event with your friends, staff, and neighbors.
- Donate pro bono hours to help charities in need of your skills.
- Organize a donation drive for people to donate goods, clothing, and other items for people in need.
- Partner with local organizations to give a donation (money, goods, or services) to nonprofits.
- Ask organizations to work together to build a local #GivingTuesday movement. In 2015, over 50 cities and states led their own #GivingTuesday movements to benefit local nonprofits.
- Create a #GivingTuesday product to sell during Black Friday and Cyber Monday and donate proceeds to a partnering charity on #GivingTuesday.
- Get your local government officials to proclaim November 29, 2016 #GivingTuesday in your city or town. Make this a big press moment and bring the community together to celebrate generosity.
4. Get Social
- Activate your social media constituency (or open a new social media account) to talk about giving.
- Celebrate community heroes and service leaders on social media and with your local press.
- Email your community to educate them about #GivingTuesday and invite them to give.
- Share photos from past campaigns or volunteer events to teach your followers about how you serve the community. Remember to use the hashtag #GivingTuesday!
- Create a #GivingTuesday video with your family, community, or staff. Share on YouTube, Facebook, and social media using the hashtag #GivingTuesday.
- Brand your personal and organizational social media accounts with #GivingTuesday graphics and be an ambassador for the movement.
- Partner with organizations or sponsors to do a social media fundraising campaign, where a certain amount is donated per re-tweet, like, or post.